FAQs regarding 221g administrative processing

Do not panic. You are not the only one who has been handed the pink slip, there have been others before you and they have come out of this just fine. It is not a reason to give up hope, hang in there! This list of questions have been answered by students who were issued an 221g. It might help to soothe your nerves.
  1. What is 221g security check/administrative processing?
  2. What is the reason that I was given a 221g security check?
  3. What exactly happens during the visa interview if I get a 221g?
  4. What are the chances my visa is approved after being issued a 221g security check?
  5. How long do I need to wait to get my visa after the 221g administrative processing is done?
  6. I have been waiting for a number of weeks since I received the pink slip. I am getting frustrated! What should I do? Should I defer my admit? Why is mine taking so long?
These are the personal observations of a few students and the scenario might be quite different in your case. Still, we are trying to help...

1. What is 221g security check/administrative processing?
Section 221(g) of the Immigration and Nationality Act is the provision of law that enables the consular officer to put a visa application on hold until the applicant provides requested documentation or the consular officer resolves an issue requiring further investigation, such as a security check/ administrative check (Google it to find an official definition). It is also termed as pink slip/yellow slip in some of the consular offices.


2. What is the reason that I was given a 221g security check?
Although there are many reasons a candidate can be issued a 221g security check, the most commonly observed reason in the case of F1 applicants is that their field happens to be listed on the Technology Alert List (TAL) and the visa officer needs a Visas Mantis Security Advisory Opinion on your application. 

3. What exactly happens during the visa interview if I get a 221g?
If the consular officer decides that you need to undergo administrative processing, you will be asked about your current research, planned research, US academic advisor and other similar questions. You will be asked to send the responses to these questions as an email, to an email address provided by the 
visa officer.

4. What are the chances my visa is approved after being issued a 221g security check?
Quite high, do not panic. As a matter of fact, according to recent statistics released from the US department of homeland security, more than 85% of the 221g cases are approved a visa later on.

5. How long do I need to wait to get my visa after the 221g administrative processing is done?
The entire processing time might vary from anywhere between 3 weeks to 3 months. Once approved the visa is sent you through courier service in 3 days.

6. I have been admitted for the PhD Biochemistry / Chemistry program. In the DS-160 form there is a question that says 'Do you possess any training in firearms, explosives, chemical, biological or other related field'. Should I answer this question as a 'NO' to decrease my chances of getting a 221g?Technically speaking, it is likely that you have had some biological/chemical training if you have been admitted into such programs, so the answer for this question should be 'YES'. However, it is your call whether to answer in the affirmative or the negative. Answering this question as 'NO' might not really decrease your chances of getting a 221g.

7. I have been waiting for a number of weeks since I received the pink slip. I am getting frustrated! What should I do?
OR
7. I've been waiting for so long, I am beginning to wonder if I'm going to get the visa in time. Should I defer my admit?
OR
7. I got a 221g in June. I have been following these other forums, and am seeing other people receive their visas without much hassle. Why is mine taking so long?
In case you're one of the unlucky ones who ended up with a pink slip during your 
visa interview (or know that you are going to end up with one, because of your academic background), there are a few things you can do to escape the inevitable feeling of disappointment and frustration. 
First, even before your visa appointment, it is best to come to terms with the idea that you might be one of those receiving the pink slip, especially if you're from one of the bio-related fields. 
In the off chance, that you're not from a bio-related field and ended up with a 221g, try to not over-analyze your responses during the visa interview. Just respond to the questions asked of you offline honestly, and send it across at the earliest.

While you wait for the visa... that it is, hopefully, (almost surely) on its way ...
There are preparations that you can do for the journey without investing too much money. Like, spending time in the kitchen and learning how to cook, trying to find potential roommates, gathering information about the travel and things to do once you arrive here, getting a health checkup along with the TB and meningitis formalities, making a to do/to buy list.
As far as possible, delay doing things that need you to spend a considerable amount of money for. Postpone things such as buying airline tickets or shopping. Keep yourself distracted, but be prepared. You will have to do things in a hurry when you finally receive that most-awaited-for visa!

Deferring admit:
The question of deferring your admit doesn't need to come up until early August. There are cases of people who have received their admits as late as July, visa in the last week of July and then arrival in the US a couple of weeks after that. Keep International Student Services in the loop with respect to your 221g delays. 
There are people who have managed to arrive during the last week of August and still got things done right!

***This is only a list of possible answers to the above mentioned questions. The reader must verify the information based on their specific situation.***